Introduction to Installation of Compiere
This chapter is in place for a new installation of Compiere. If you have already installed a previous version of Compiere, refer to the Migration chapter.
- Java JDK 7 Update 80 or later (not just JRE). Support for JDK 8 is now included
- Database: Oracle XE, Oracle 10gR2, Oracle 11gR2, Oracle 12c or EnterpriseDB Postgres Plus Advanced Server 8.3, or later
Note: It is recommended that you use a Unicode character set.
- Database approved Linux Operating System, Windows Server 2003 or 2008, Windows 7, Windows 2012
- Tomcat Version 7, or Wildfly 8.2.0.Final
- TCP/IP connection and internet access
- Disk space: 5 GB (includes database) or more
- Swap Space: 1 GB or more
- Memory: For Windows, 4GB or more. For Linux, 2 GB or more
- Browser: Firefox browser 13 or higher is recommended for the web user interface. Internet Explorer 7 and higher is also supported
If you are using Internet Explorer, ensure that the options, “Always switch to new tabs when they are created”, and “A new tab in the current window” are enabled. To enable these options, go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab, and then click Settings under Tab.
- Network setup with DNS server and a domain. Do not use IP addresses
Notice that this document refers to the installation on Windows, but the process is the same for Linux, except for the paths (e.g. C:\Compiere2 vs. /Compiere2) and the extension of the scripts (.bat vs. .sh)
Install Database - For the instructions on how to install Oracle XE and EnterpriseDB on Windows
and Linux, refer to the install guide on the Compiere website http://www.compiere.org/support/installation.php.
Download and install Oracle Java - JDK 7 Update 80 or later - from the following link. The Compiere Server requires the SDK (not just JRE).
Install or set up the Compiere Server (this includes the Client as well).
Extract the .zip file. The steps shown assume that you extract to the root directory, resulting in a COMPIERE_HOME of C:\Compiere2 in Windows or /Compiere2 in Linux.
Verify that the bin directory for your database executables is included in the PATH. Also, if using Oracle XE on Linux, run $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle_env.sh.
To update the PATH in Windows, right-click My Computer and choose Properties. Then go to the Advanced tab and click on Environment Variables. Find the PATH variable and click Edit. Verify that the correct path to ORACLE_HOME is set up in the Environment Variables.
To update the JAVA_HOME in Windows, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. Then move to the Advanced tab and click on Environment Variables. Find the JAVA_HOME variable and click Edit. Verify that the correct path to JAVA_HOME is set up in the Environment Variables. For more information, click here.
Execute the script $COMPIERE_HOME/RUN_Setup.
Note: If the following window does not display, ensure that the following are updated.
- Add the bin folder where you have installed JDK 1.5 at the beginning of the PATH system environment variable.
- Set the JAVA_HOME system variable to the location of your java installation (e.g., 'C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_5')
- Set the COMPIERE_HOME
Select the Server Type. For example, JBoss or Tomcat.
In Deployment, enter the path where you have installed the application server.
Select the Database Type from the following options: Oracle XE, Oracle (for Standard or Enterprise Editions), or PostgreSQL (for EnterpriseDB).
In System Password, enter the System database User password.
In Database Password, enter the Compiere database user password. For example, 'compiere'.
In the Application Server, Database Server, and Mail Server fields, use the DNS name of the server.
Important: Do not use localhost (127.0.0.1) or IP addresses.
Enter or update any other parameters as necessary.
Click Help for information on any field.
Click the Test button to check the parameters.
Note: The parameters will only save after they have been verified.
If an entry is unverifiable, it will display with a red X mark. Correct the entry and click Test again.
Once all fields are verified, click the Save button to proceed.
At the prompt, enter your company information as appropriate and verify that the common name is the address of your application server.
Note: This information is used to create a certificate request which could be sent to a security vendor or (by default) used to create the self signed certificate.
Once all fields are complete, click OK to continue.
Next, read and accept the license agreement.
Note: You might get more than one license agreement, depending on the applications that you are installing.
A default security key will be generated.
Click OK to continue.
As an optional step, you can register with Compiere the details about your current installation.
Existing customers should provide the subscriber information (System Name, Email, and Password) exactly as it was registered in the Compiere Web Store to get a complete list of applications.
Click Check Available Applications to get a list of applications that are available to be installed.
Select the applications that you would like to install. You can include additional applications by using the Add Application button.
By default all available applications will be installed. If you do not want to install one of them you should change the action field from "New Install" to "None". Note that Compiere Core is a Mandatory Prerequisite and must be selected.
Click the OK button to continue.
Next, read and accept the license agreement.
Important: You might get more than one license agreement, depending on the applications that you are installing.
After accepting the license agreement, the Compiere Server Setup installation window will display.
Select Start File Installation.
Important: At this point, you must be connected to the internet to continue; otherwise, the installation will not succeed.
Once the file installation is complete, click Start Create New Database.
If you choose to replace the existing database, all data in the existing database will be removed.
Note: If you already have a Compiere database in your system, you will be presented with a split panel after "Start Server Install".
Click the left panel (Start DROP OLD and create NEW Database) if you want to replace the existing database with the new database. Click Yes.
Verify that you see a '10: ** Finished' message at the end of this step. Then a new window should pop-up to begin the license validation.
If you only intend to use the Community Edition of Compiere 3.0, you may skip the following steps and go to the Application Server section.
Important: For customers with a valid support contract with Compiere, this is a required step to ensure that the features associated with the support level are enabled.
If you are a customer and do not have a web store login, contact your system administrator or Compiere Support first.
If you are not a customer and would like to obtain a trial license for the Enterprise Edition, use the following steps to register with Compiere.
- Go to Contact Us from the Compiere website and request the files for the Enterprise Edition.
- Once you have obtained the files, go to the Compiere Web store, and click Login.
- If you are a new user, click New User and provide the required information.
- Then Login to the web store. If you are a new user you will have to validate your e-mail address by providing the validation code that was sent to your email inbox.
Provide the following information exactly as it was registered in the Compiere web store and click Check License to validate your asset information.
- System Name (name provided in the web store registration)
- Registered Email (email address provided in the web store registration)
- Password (web store password)
To verify your license, click the Check License button.
Important: Do not click Start Migration.
Notice that internet access is required to validate the license information.
Review that your license information has been validated.
Note: If you get the error "You do not have an appropriate license to use this feature" when starting the Web Application, then login to the server and execute utils/RUN_Support to validate again your license and restart the application server.
Close the Support and the Setup windows.
Run the Application Server
Use the following steps to start the application server:
To start the application server:
- If you are using JBoss, go to the location where you have installed the application server, and run Standalone.bat from the bin folder. (For example, C:\JBoss\jboss-as-7.1.1.Final > bin > Standalone.bat).
- If you are using Apache Tomcat, run Startup.bat from the bin folder (For example, C:\tomcat\apache-tomcat-7.0.28 > bin > Startup.bat).
Check the logs files in the following locations for any errors:
Common problems include ports already in use:
- 17:41:09,085 ERROR [NamingService] Could not start on port 1099 java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method).
- There is another program using port 1099; Stop it and restart Run_Server2 or setup Compiere to use another port in RUN_setup.
Likely port conflicts:
- 80 - You have some other web server running (or you need privileges under Linux/Unix).
- 8080 - The Oracle Database uses that.
- 1099 - Often used by IDEs for debugging.
Start the Compiere Client. You can start the Java Swing client by double-clicking the Compiere shortcut on your desktop, or by executing RUN_Compiere2 from the $COMPIERE_HOME directory.
The following represent the default users and passwords for the sample Garden World application:
Alternatively, if you have access to the Compiere Enterprise Edition, you can launch the application from the browser by using the URL: http://server:port/apps (For example, http://mycompany.com:80/apps).
Important: For optimal performance, Compiere recommends using the Firefox browser for using the Compiere web user interface.
For additional information, visit the Compiere home page: http://www.compiere.com.